July 27, 2008

Basic Quiche


Quiche is a wonderful frugal and simple dish to keep in your repertoire for a fast quick meal. You can serve it for breakfast, lunch or even dinner! We are BUSY painting our master bedroom this weekend so I threw one together for a quick lunch with LEFTOVERS we had on hand. You can put bits and pieces of almost anything in them. Here's a very basic recipe....but you can adjust it how you like.

3 to 4 eggs (if you like it firmer use 4, I do)
2 cups warm milk
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
pinch nutmeg (optional)
3/4 cup grated cheese (or whatever amount you have)
1 pie crust (optional...can be baked without for crustless version)
add in's- leftover meats , cheeses, veggie's....etc.

warm milk ( I micro in a large measuring cup)....add eggs and beat all together. If using pie shell....line pie plate and then fill with whatever items you want to add in...pour egg/ milk mixture over all...bake 350 for 35 to 50 mins....till set. Depending on how much stuff you put in it....the cook times can vary a LOT....you just want the egg to firm up and be done...so just check it here and there. I put my pie plate on a cookie sheet in the oven THEN pour the egg mixture over....so I don't spill trying to carry it all over to the stove.....it's easier that way. If you really stuff it full, sometimes you won't need all the egg mixture.

I put a layer of leftover hash browns, a sausage patty crumbled, a few onions, a bit of shredded mexican cheese leftover from taco night.....and because the cheese was slim pickin's.....I tore one slice of american cheese into it. That pix is before I poured the egg mix in. This is in the oven right now...so I'll edit back later with a finished picture.......Now BACK TO PAINTING!!!





Adding the egg mixture






Right out of the oven-that's my CHEAP frugal rim guard (keeps edges from browning too fast)....you CAN buy one in the store for $19.99....but why bother when you can make your own out of an old used throw away pie plate....just cut the center out.... it will last a LONG time, mine is years old, seriously :)




Done and cooling....I'm SO HUNGRY!!! (note....I did NOTHING fancy to the edges at all ....time was short so don't laugh at how ugly the poor thing is!)





*In the next few days I'll show you how to make a simple crust right in the pan-no rolling or mess I forgot to take pictures while making it-LOL!!!

No comments: