December 19, 2008

$1500 Pizza ?!?


Well the title IS misleading a bit :blush: This pizza is not $1500. But if you read my blog about finding extra cash in your grocery budget here , you will remember that ordering pizza for my family each week was going to cost over $1500 for the year! OUCH !!!! I could not believe it when I did the math. Calling the pizza man will cost WHAT?? Then reality struck. That's just too much. So I have been working on making my own to cut that cost way down. I haven't figured out the exact cost of the whole process (but I will soon then edit it back in) but I'm sure it's at least less than half of take out. It won't be perfect the first couple of times (I burnt our very first attempt!) but keep trying, it's FUN, economical and better for you !!!
My dough recipe comes from a wonderful book that my Mom gave to me. It's from the 70's and if you've never read it, please do so ASAP!! It will bless you! It's called a Family Raised on Rainbows. It's a wonderful thrifty, frugal, crafty, recipe filled wonder of a book! It's by Beverly K. Nye. She has a few other books too....find them if you can! I have altered the recipe a bit by using olive oil and adding a little sugar.

Pizza Dough
Dissolve 2 pkgs yeast into 1/2 cup warm water
Put 4 cups flour in bowl- make a well in center:
Next
add 1/4 cup olive oil (can use whatevers on hand)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup warm water
yeast mixture


At this point I mix with a fork until it starts to all come together. This keeps your hands from getting too gunky. Finish the dough with your hands, kneading well in the bowl or on the table. Add flour as needed to keep from sticking but not too much. I have found that the dough is easier to spread on the pans later if it's not too dense. Once you have finished kneading the dough coat it with oil and set it in the bowl to rise until double. Cover with a towel. Mine takes about 1 hour to rise, this just depends on temperature.


Now the original recipe says this makes 2x 14 inch pizzas. We make three from it because we like a thinner crust. I use non stick pans so I do not oil them but if you use regular pans I would oil them. Divide the dough for your pizzas and hand flatten into a disk shape. At this point I oil my hands well and just work the dough to fill the pan...I do not twirl my dough in the air- just how do they do that??!?!?

It may seem thin and that it won't cover the pan but trust me it will AND you will be surprised at how much the dough will rise and thicken during baking (at least I was) Once the dough is spread, prick it all over with a fork. This keeps the air bubbles down. Just hold 2 forks back to back to make this job faster....or GET THE KIDS TO HELP!!!


We pre cook the dough for 5 mins at 375. Then top with sauce and toppings, then bake for another 10-15 mins or until done. The more toppings you use the longer it will take. As you can see I just use a simple canned spaghetti sauce but use whatever YOU like! A note on temperature. The original called for 425 but in MY oven, that just burned the bottom before the top was done. SO it may take a time or two to figure out what works for you. Just write it down so you remember the next time!! We like to make these on Friday nights. This is a good time as we can use leftovers as toppings to help clean out the fridge. Combos that are good: Smoked sausage with olives and onion. Leftover taco meat is good with onions, peppers and mexican cheese. Last week I crumpled up 2 slices of leftover meatloaf and added chopped onion and green peppers and mushrooms- that was pretty good! Save veggie scraps for a veggie pizza. Use your imagination here....be creative! These two are just your standard pepperoni....DH and I usually eat the "creative" one. Sometimes the kids aren't as adventurous!


Happy Pizza making!

2 comments:

Ace said...

This is great, I have to get this book! It is amazing how it adds up, no? I remember when I was working I realized I was spending like five bucks a DAY on snacks and stuff (power bars and the like)...that is 25 bucks a week, 100 bucks a month, 1200 a YEAR! Whew, quit that right away. I always try to look for these leaks in our budget, that way you can splurge on something you really want to.

Many Blessings :)
Ace

Jen said...

The book is pretty good. I would say try the library first before you buy it. I am always amazed how the little stuff adds up.