January 23, 2009

Today's Hit List

I'm puttering today :) I'm finishing up the last of the cookie dough from Christmas......don't worry it has been frozen! I'm also thinking about making some banana bread later if I get around to it, there are 2 left that have reached "that" shade of brown. Right now I am working on a fresh batch of homemade laundry soap. The next couple of batches I do I will try leaving out the borax. I have seen a few recipes on the net that leave it out. The list here at TipNut lists a few different versions with out it. Now borax is a booster so you may or may not need it. If you don't really need it, then your laundry soap will be that much less expensive and that's one less thing to buy. I use all white linens ...so I will see right away if things start to get dingy. I'll touch back in a few weeks with the verdict. A note on all white linens. Have you ever thought about it? All my towels, wash clothes and sheets are all white.....why? Am I against colors?? NO. But colors take more WORK.....fade and can get ruined faster. I went to all white for simplicity sake. Every thing always matches (even if I get new towels years apart) If it gets stained....bleach is your friend (ever try to re dye a perfectly good navy blue towel and have it still match the rest of the set...it's hard!) Or had a beautiful set of sheets that you "leaked" on....sad.... it's so hard to get that stain out without killing the color and pattern. But on white it's never a problem :) I can throw all these things in together too...no sorting lights and darks or the what not. It works for me! If interested just replace sheets, towels and wash clothes with white as needed and eventually you'll be there! Plus white looks good with everything! Get a new spread?? Don't have to replace with matchy sheets.....paint the bathroom or need a new shower curtain.....white will go every time :)

2 comments:

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

LOVE your blog!!! Just yesterday I got all my fixings to make my first batch of laundry soap!!! I am soooo excited! Thanks for the tips!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Jen said...

Hi Maryjane *wave* Thanks for stopping by! I hope the laundy soap works out for you! I would have thought NO WAY a year ago, but have been really happy with the results :)