July 21, 2008

Cottage Industry:AKA Work From Home




In this day and age it is hard to stay at home and even harder to live life out on one income.....especially with a large family. I entered the work force from the day I turned 16 till I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my first child seven years later. I have a big heart for mom's being at home and will always feel it's the first/best option....but I totally understand those who have to go to work....especially if your husband says you must (we want to remain obedient to the heads of our homes)! Although I would make sure you fully understand what the cost of going out to work is....especially if you must have daycare and expensive clothes for your job.....include gas expenses and food out too....make sure what you bring home after these are taken out is worth all the time away. I do not have a college degree so any job I could get would not net me more than 25 to 30 extra $$ a week (daycare for our four children killed most the extra $$ the job would have brought in.) Now with that being said, it just made more sense for me to try to SAVE that amount then be gone 8 plus hours a day to earn it.....I have been an active monetary contributor to my family through the years....how you may wonder?? First off, learning to SAVE more of the money we do bring in. Secondly (in the proverbs 31 chick style), Cottage Industry (fancy-shmancy name, isn't it....LOL! ) What's that?? Simple.....work from home. There are so many things you can do from home...below is just a small list.....I'll put a red X by the one's I've done. This list is by no means definitive and the possibilities are endless! I am NOT saying you must work a job from home to stay at home....but if you are faced with having to enter the work force for whatever reasons......maybe try an at home option first as it may allow you to still be Keeper at Home! As with ANY major family decision....LET THE LORD IN TO HELP GUIDE YOU in the process!!! PLEASE don't step out on your own to solve any of your problems! God is so good and wants to take care of us if we'd just let Him....He always has a great plan for us...a plan way better than we could ever think up on our own! Even working a job in the home may not be what God wants for you! For me, it was a blessed alternative at the time that my husband fully supported and gave me authority to pursue. With the jobs I did hold at home....there was still plenty of time to care for my family and our home.... they remained then, as they do now, my top priorities. A few generations back the stay at home Mother's would sell extra eggs, butter, milk, pies, extras from the garden....and take in wash and sometimes rent out rooms or sell quilts.....basically if you need more money there may be ways other than a traditional "job".

Caterer/ baking service
Bookkeeping service / Accounting
Proof reader
Daycare X
Elder care
Crafts maker
Arts & Crafts teacher
Sewing / Alterations
Music teacher/ Lessons/ tutor
Furniture refinishing
Costume maker
Seamstress
Before & after school care X
Tutor
Newsletter publisher
Adult Caregiver
Event photographer/videographer
Quilt maker
Resume writer / typist X (Did office/data entry job)
Take in Laundry
Ebay Auctioneer X
Pet sitting X
Pet Grooming
Answering service
Make gift baskets to sell
Mary Kay
Avon X
Medical Transcriptionist
Hold annual garage sales

No comments: