July 19, 2008

Poor Man's Jelly


GREAT use for all those tomatoes that will be ripening up soon......or for the greenies too!
4 c. sugar
4 c. tomatoes
1 lg. box Jello strawberry or raspberry or cherry

Boil tomatoes and sugar 15 minutes. Add 1 box Jello stir well. Pour into jelly jars and seal. Makes 3 pints.

If I keep them in the fridge I don't water bath them....but you could process for 5- 10 mins then store in the pantry. All three turn out so good..the jello makes the color really vivid and pretty...I like raspberry the best but the kids really think cherry's the BOMB- haha! That's a batch of cherry...look at that RED!!!! I always just use the ripe tomatoes....but you can use green ones too...the color may not turn out as pretty. This is a frugal recipe too as berries can get quite expensive! You could also mix half and half.....for example.....I just last summer started a small strawberry patch..... I only bought a few plants......so this spring I DID NOT get enough berries to make a full batch...so I just mixed the two and it turned out just fine!















7 comments:

~ said...

I have never heard of tomato jelly...what a great idea! I make tomato gravy but cooking either fresh or canned tomatoes, a pinch of salt and some sugar (I just "eyeball" it for the amount) and a little water. I let this simmer for a while until it cooks down. I love this over hot biscuits. My mom made this and it always reminds me of her.

Jen said...

You should really try this then.....I bet you'd LOVE it!!! Plus it's super easy!!

Heather said...

I've never thought of doing this with tomatos! What a great idea for when there are tons of ripe tomatos! I have a somewhat similar recipe to use rhubarb and strawberry jello. It is a great way to use up a very abundant fruit (vegetable?) here in Wisconsin. I recently did a post on the big batch I made that didn't go so well at first, but got fixed up and canned in the end.

I'm here via Gayle's blog and am tickled to have been selected too! Fun, isn't it? :)

Carol said...

How clever!

Melissa @SavingCentswithSense said...

Very interesting! Our tomatoes will be ripe soon, so this is a great recipe- thanks!

Unknown said...

It looks very easy! We don't have any tomatoes yet but I will keep this in mind for when we do.

MommiesCoffee3 said...

That is SO genius - I love it - thanks for sharing this idea - and oh the FLAVORS you can make!!!