February 12, 2009

Sneaky Chef Arrived!

Well the first book to show up at the library was Sneaky Chef. I'm just through the first few chapters. It makes sense. Although I DID skip a few parts about the should I or shouldn't I psychology bits. I still feel it's just simply choosing to cook more healthfully! With better ingredients! Here's a few makeovers I did right away! I don't have a lot of time for peeling, chopping, and processing right now so my choice was baby food jars :) . My first make over was banana bread. Kroger has a nice mix (I DO make it by hand often but like to keep mixes on hand for quickies!) Here's what we changed. We mixed with Milk instead of water...added extra banana and squash (1 jar-could NOT taste this at all!!) in place of the oil and next time I will add in wheat germ and extra milk powder too (I have to purchase these two items next week)! It turned out GREAT! Oh you can just mash one whole very ripe banana...I just didn't have one as the store only had pure greenies that have to sit out for a few days to even be close to eating, let alone cooking with ;)
I always bake banana bread in a 9x13 pan instead of a bread pan....it takes about half the time to cook and rarely over bakes on the outside like a loaf can.
The second thing is using Green tea in your drink mixes and to dilute juices instead of water....green tea is SO good for you! I already dilute our apple juice a bit with water to stretch it....the brewed green tea is just about the same color and didn't change the taste at all. We use coolaide and crystal light here too....I will be mixing these up with green tea water instead to add antioxidants and minerals! The whole book is filled with tips like this....I'll post some of the better ones over the next few weeks!

No comments: