November 5, 2009

No Boil EASY Mac~n~Cheese

My Monday menu plan mentioned my easy no boil mac and cheese, I wanted to post up this recipe for anyone interested. Here's what my Mac and Cheese looks like. Doesn't it look GOOD? I think so! We really like mac and cheese at our home....well truth be told...the kids and I really like it. DH HATES it! Most Monday's he is not home for dinner with the family...so most Monday's we like to have Mac and cheese. It really doesn't get boring as you can very it a lot form week to week. You can add in cubed chicken or ham and peas or broccoli...you can even vary the cheeses for variety. This one was made with mainly pepper jack cheese....that's monteray Jack and jalapeno cheese...oooo it was good this time! This recipe is SO easy because it all mixes in one pan and you don't boil the noodles...you just mix, cook and eat! Couldn't be easier!

Here's what you'll need:
1/4 c butter
1 lbs cheese (really any kind YOU like) shredded or cubed or sliced thin
3 cups DRY macaroni
4 cups Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in a 8x8 pan. Add dry noodles and stir to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese and milk. Bake uncovered 350 degrees for 45 - 60 mins. I like to stir mine half way through...it seems to cook better that way. If you need to make this more healthy by all means use olive oil and whole wheat noodles and a lower fat cheese and milk.
This time I used mainly pepper jack cheese with a bit of colby and a few handfuls of pizza cheese and mexican cheese. Basically I had all sorts of little bits of cheeses left over from the past few weeks that I needed to get used up. The picture above is only half done with the cheeses. When I use sliced cheese I just lay it over the top and stir it half way during the cooking process to mix it all up as it melts.

This is with the milk added and all ready to go into the oven at 350 degrees....mine took about 45 mins to be done. I added paprika just because.If you are adding meat or veggies you can add them now. I stirred half way through the bake time.

All done and ready to eat! YUM! At this point you could top with buttered bread crumbs and put back in the oven for 5 mins to brown if you like your mac and cheese that way....we never bother with it. Hope you try this easy recipe and ENJOY it!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

*gasp* how did you KNOW I was a mac n cheese addict!!!!! Ohhhhh I am SO going to make this tomorrow!!!!! Hmmmm, I wonder if doubling it and using a bigger pan would work (I want to say 8x11 but I think I've got my baking pans and my printer paper mixed up in my head LOL)

Jen said...

LOL!! Mac and Cheese and I are serious bestest buds too!! I bet it would work doubled. I would just check it and maybe stir it a bit more since there's gonna be more volume of the cheesy goodness :)

Amanda said...

Well, couldn't get to it until today but WOW was that ever GOOD!!!! I certainly don't need to worry about doubling it, we couldn't eat nearly as much of it as I expected, wow that's rich stuff! We have enough left over for another meal yet!! Thanks for our new favourite recipe!

Jen said...

I'm glad you guys liked it! It's a litle different then the boil the noodles first way.....but we really like it over here...and the cook really likes the ease of it ;)