March 22, 2012

My Hair's new Best Buddy!


My hair has a new best friend!! Enter the box fan. I've had my windows opened and box fans running the past few weeks here in Ohio as it's been in the 80's. I HATE to apply heat to my hair to dry it....it always poofs up funny...the wirey grays sprawl all up AND any broken bits fly right up to create a not so pretty fuzzy halo. So usually I let my hair air dry. It's not too bad with just a few draw backs. First it takes forever. My hair is about 3 inches below bra strap length. This is about as long as I usually go before I chop it. But for years now I have wanted to try to let it get to my lower back. The second draw back is that my air dried hair can look rather flat....ok if I've planned on an up do....not as attractive if I wanna rock it down. Well for two weeks now I have dried it in front of the box fan! I just stand there and use my fingers to separate it a bit while the cool air runs through it. WOW.....what a difference. I am able to gently get a lift at the roots by holding the hair up and away from my scalp. It is taking about 7-10 mins for the whole thing to be totally dry....really only a few mins more than my heat dryer. It looks really really straight too.....almost like I flat ironed it.....no fly aways or fuzz. All this with no heat! I'm guessing the fan's gentle flush of air as opposed to my driers tornado gusts keeps things smooth. Heat is so hard on your hair and going into summer I try to avoid it. I will be using my box fan from now on, on days I need to dry it!

I have a new favorite shampoo and conditioner scent right now.....it's Suave's Everlasting Sunshine. It smells so yummy.....you can also find that scent in body wash, lotion and deodorant. I don't use shampoo in the typical way. I do a modified conditioner only wash routine. I played around with it for about a year before I found what works for me and my oily hair. Here's how I do it....my hair is so much more cooperative this way. I start by buying 1 shampoo and 3 conditioners. I use an empty shampoo bottle to mix 1/2 shampoo and 1/2 conditioner together. This is what I use to wash my hair on shampoo days. It lathers nicely still but doesn't strip the hair near as much as shampoo alone does. I shampoo 1 time per week. The rest of the days if I feel my hair needs a fresher ie...it's getting oily....I'll do the conditioner only method. That's just glopping on a mound of conditioner to the wet roots....letting it sit while you shower....then adding water and scrubbing like with shampoo (it's funny but conditioner DOES foam up a bit) then rinsing the lot out. Kinda like Wen....have you seen the infomercials?? In the summer I wash the first day and wear my hair down since that's when it looks the best....then I wear it up day 2 and 3....then usually CO wash. You tube is the perfect place to find beautiful up dos for summer I like Lilith Moon's Channel....but there are many many more.
















Have a great rest of the week friends!!!

3 comments:

Rose said...

HI Jennifer~I am going to have to try that with the fan! Great idea. I know during the winter I sit in front of the fireplace and dry my hair that way. The Suave shampoo sounds great. Candy mentioned that she is also using Suave and it really has helped her hair get healthier. It is so affordable also. It must smell really good, too. Thanks for all the video's. It is so nice to watch how other women put up their hair in these feminine hairstyles. I know you said that you are 40. I am 45 now, but I don't want to cut my hair. I would like to grow it really long and keep it in a french braid. God bless you and have a joyful day, Rose

Jen said...

Yes I am 40.....!!!!! It is so very common for older ladies in our current society to chop their hair off as they age....I'm so not going there....I'll keep it trimmed and may never reach a LONG state...but will always stay below shoulder length for me. Goodluck with your hair!! I havd short hair many years ago and funny thing was it took so much MORE work than long hair to keep it looking nice. I won't go back.

The Better Baker said...

Amazing we Ohioans need fans in March huh? We have just LOOOOOVED this sunshine and warmth...winter is teasing us once again this coming week, but we sure can't complain. Your hair is gorgeous!