April 14, 2009

Leftover Makeover: Potatoes #1

Leftover Makeover: Potatoes

Our Easter dinner went over perfectly (thank you Lord for such a great ministry opportunity), then the next day we visited DH's side of the family. We had baked potatoes there that had been wrapped in foil and cooked in the oven. There were about 10 leftover and MIL let me have them along with some leftover corn. She had asked me earlier in the evening what to do with them and I gave her many ideas! I guess she just didn't want to mess around with them...I was so very lucky to be offered them...what a blessing! Prebaked potatoes placed in the fridge have MANY fabulous uses. When they chill, the starch gets stiff again so you can easily peel and chop or grate them. The grated ones are perfect for hash browns or added to a quiche. Cubed added to the leftover corn with milk, butter, onions and celery will make a SUPER corn potato chowder...I can even throw in some chopped ham that I have leftover from my celebration feast! And today I went for my favorite...potato salad. So I am going to get 3 fine dishes out of something that might just have gone in the trash can. Do you notice that when you start to be more frugal minded...that you notice waste more? Or maybe it's just you see opportunity more! It's a blessing and a curse...LOL! Here's my potato salad. I use no set recipe, sorry ...it doesn't really need one!

Today I used:
3 peeled and cubed cold baked potatoes
2 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup mayo
about 2 Tablespoons sweet relish
1 tablespoon mustard
1/4 chopped onion
salt,pepper, garlic powder to taste
parsley and paprika for garnish
Mix all gently...EAT and ENJOY!!




























I got just a little heavy handed with the paprika....oops!
















2 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

Mmmm...I just love me some potato salad! I think it is just sad that some people reserve it for summertime cookouts. I could eat it all year round!

:)

Jen said...

You and me both! Just who says we can't break the mold and serve anytime! Thanks for stopping by =)