April 20, 2009

Leftover Potatoes: Hashbrowns #2

I mentioned in the first post here , how easy it is to make hash browns out of cold leftover baked potatoes. This is really the only way I'll do it. I have "tried" to grate raw potatoes....and I know it can be done....but it is HARD for me! Plus by the time I get them all grated up, the things start to turn a funky grey....NOT very pretty. Grating when the potato is already cooked is a breeze! You MUST have the cooked potato COLD for it to work. The other great part is that since they are already cooked they just take a few minutes to brown up. I used my BIG non stick pan with just a pat or two of butter, salt and pepper. You can also grate a little onion and green pepper in there if you like it too and add a pinch on red pepper flakes...DH and I like it that way but the kids do not....so they won out this time!!!

I did NOT peel my cold potatoes first (the skins add extra vitamins) but you can if you like. Press through/rub through grater, largest holes. You can also use these grated potatoes in soups, quiches , and layer them into an Au Gratin with sour cream and chives or cheddar cheese. You can add egg and a bit of flour and fry some potato pancakes too-YUM! So many uses...cook some up to keep in the fridge all week to use...next time you bake something in the oven just wrap 10 or so up in foil and bake with whatever you are cooking!!












Cook in pan over medium high heat till browned and crispy as your family likes them...it won't take long as they are already cooked!














2 comments:

Sarah said...

Duh!

I have always grated my potatoes raw but it makes so much sense to do it after they've cooked.

Thanks for the tip.

Jen said...

=) I had that thought too the first few times I did it! Make sure your cooked potatoes are chilled before you grate them or they'll just mush up like in a potato ricer...thanks for stopping by!!